Experience & Expertise
Meet Ray Drexel
Our Experienced Financial Insitution Attorney
Ray is an AV Preeminent® rated attorney, which is a significant accomplishment and a testament to the fact that his peers in the legal profession rank him at the highest level of professional excellence. Ray was admitted to the State of Ohio bar in 1974, practicing his first years as in-house counsel with the legal department of Buckeye Federal Savings and Loan Association, followed by partnerships at the law firms of Hilliard, Ramsey & Drexel, Buckley King and Bluso, and Gamble Hartshorn.
Ray focuses his practice in the areas of financial institution law (he is past president of the Mid-Ohio Lender’s Counsel Association and past president and lifetime honorary member of The National Management Association, Buckeye Federal Chapter, Inc.), foreclosure law (he has lectured at the Lorman Business Center, Inc.’s “Foreclosure and Repossession” seminar), real estate (he practiced law for 25 years with famed real estate practitioner Hylas A. Hilliard), title insurance (title insurance companies look to him to represent insureds on difficult title issues), and business litigation (among many notable successes, he successfully “pierced the corporate veil” to obtain sizeable judgments against individual tortfeasors in a seminal case).
Ray has also lectured for the Institute of Financial Education and authored the article titled “Administrative Wage Garnishments” for the Ohio Restaurant Association. He regularly counsels home health care companies, automobile dealerships, businesses and the people who own them. Ray also provides estate planning and probate work for his clients.
Ray received his B.S., Comprehensive Social Studies, in 1971 from The Ohio State University, and his J.D. in 1974 from Capital University Law School. He is proud to say he has been a member of the Real Property Committee of the Columbus Bar Association for over forty years, the Lawyers Club of Columbus for over twenty-five years, and the Central Ohio Association for Justice (fka The Franklin County Trial Lawyers Association) for over twenty-five years.
Ray’s victories on behalf of his clients include:
- On behalf of a financial institution, litigated and negotiated the settlement of a complex hotel foreclosure case.
- On behalf of a hotel owner, defended and negotiated the settlement of a complex hotel foreclosure case.
- “Pierced the corporate veil” to obtain sizeable judgments for a business client against individual tortfeasors in a seminal appellate case.
- Litigated a significant commercial eviction thru trial and appeal for a substantial real estate investor.
- Successfully defended an LLC business and its individual member against a creditor’s collection claims.
- Engagement by title companies to represent their insureds on difficult title issues.
- Victories before state courts on real estate and title issues.
- Collected sizable debts for businesses and individual clients through negotiations and litigation.
- Favorable opinions and entries before federal and state courts of appeal.
Areas of Practice
- Business litigation
- Creditor rights
- Financial institutions
- Mortgage foreclosure
- Real estate
- Estate Planning
- Ohio, 1974
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 1975
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 1989
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 2010
- Capital University Law School, Columbus, Ohio
- J.D. – 1974
- The Ohio State University
- B.S. – 1971
Get In Touch
Contact the Chaney & Drexel law firm today to schedule a consultation to discuss your specific legal needs. Fill out the form below, or call (614) 324-5990
*Disclaimer: The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.